School Library Media Programs
and Academic Achievement:
A Bibliography and Availability List
by David V. Loertscher, March, 2003
Updated June 19, 2003
The Gaver Study, 1963
- Gaver, Mary V. Effectiveness of Centralized Library Service in Elementary Schools. 2nd ed. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1963 (out of print, find in many academic libraries or school district professional libraries).
The First Colorado Study, 1993:
- Lance, Keith C, Linda Welborn, and Christine Hamilton-Pennell. The Impact of School Library Media Centers on Academic Achievement. Castle Rock, CO: Hi Willow Research and Publishing, 1993 (available from LMC Source at http://www.lmcsource.com under research)
The Second Colorado Study, 2000
- Lance, Keith C., Marcia J. Rodney and Christine Hamilton-Pennell. How School Librarians Help Kids Achieve Standards: The Second Colorado Study. San Jose, CA: Hi Willow Research and Publishing, 2000 (available from LMC Source online at http://www.lmcsource.com under research).
The Alaska Study, 2000:
- Lance, Keith C., Christine Hamilton-Pennell, Marcia J. Rodney, with Lois Peterson and Clara Sitter. Information Empowered: The School Librarian as an Agent of Academic Achievement in Alaska Schools. Revised ed. Juneau, AK: Alaska State Library, 2000 (available for $10 from The Alaska State Library, PO Box 110571, Juneau, AK 98811). Executive summary and order information at: http://www.library.state.ak.us/dev/infoemp.html
The Pennsylvania Study, 2000:
The Massachusetts Study, 2000:
The Texas Study, 2001:
The Oregon Study, 2001:
- Lance, Keith Curry, Marcia J. Rodney and Christine Hamilton-Pennell. Good Schools Have School Librarians: Oregon School Librarians Collaborate to Improve Academic Achievement. Salem, OR: Oregon Educational Media Association, 2001. Available in print from: LMC Source (http://www.lmcsource.com) and online at: http://www.oema.net/Oregon_Study/OR_study.htm
The Scotland Study, 2001
- Williams, Dorothy and Caroline Wavell. The Impact of the School Library Resource Centre on Learning. Library and Information Commission Research Report 112: Report on Research Conducted for Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries. Aberdeen, Scotland: The Robert Gordon University for The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries, 2001. Available at:
The Iowa Study, 2002:
- Rodney, Marcia J., Keith Curry Lance and Christine Hamilton-Pennell. Make the Connection: Quality school Library Media Programs Impact Academic achievement in Iowa. A Research Project by Iowa Area Education Agencies, published by the Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency, 2002. Available at:
The New Mexico Study, 2002:
- Lance, Keith Curry, Marcia J. Rodney, and Christine Hamilton-Pennell. How School Libraries Improve Outcomes for Children: The New Mexico Study. Sante Fe: NM: New Mexico State Library, 2002. Available for purchase from LMC source at http://www.lmcsource.com under Research.
The Minnesota Study, 2003
The Missouri Study, 2003
The Michigan Study, 2003
- The Michigan study has been completed and will be published late summer, early fall by Hi Willow Research & Publishing (at http://www.lmcsource.com)
The North Carolina Study, 2003
- The North Carolina study, An Essential Connection: How Quality School Library Media Programs Improve Student Achievement in North Carolina done by Robert Burgin and Pauletta Brown Bracy is available at: http://www.rburgin.com/NCschools2003/index.html
Other Research Reviews of Interest
- Krashen, Stephen. The Power of Reading. Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 1993 (available for sale online at http://www.lu.com).
- McQuillan, Jeff. The Literacy Crisis. Portsmith NH: Heinemann, 1998 (available for sale online at http://www.heinemann.com).
Cunningham and Stanovich, 1998
- Cunningham, Ann E. and Keith E. Stanovich. "What Reading Does for the Mind." American Educator, Spring/Summer, 1998, p. 1-8.
Summaries/Presentations of the Studies
At a number of the websites listed above, fast fact sheets, executive summaries, and PowerPoint presentations are available. The studies have also been summarized with presentation materials in:
- Lance, Keith Curry and David V. Loertscher. Powering Achievement. 2nd Edition. Salt Lake City UT: Hi Willow Research and Publishing, 2003. Available at: http://lmcsource.com under research.